Split Rules

I've started doing some serious playing with nnimap and have some questions
about split rules and what to expect.

First, some background.  My IMAP server is an MS Exchange Server and we can use
MS Outlook 98 as a client.  To test nnimap, I have set up "rules" in Outlook
(the rules are resident in the server but the GUI is in Outlook) to move some
of my mail into folders (I subscribe to several mailing lists and use rules to
filter the mail from those lists).  Using the Server Buffer, I added my
Exchange Server with an nnimap backend, subscribed to the groups I was
interested in and all is working as expected.  I can read messages in my nnimap
groups, read messages are reflected as such in the server (so that if I use
Outlook or Netscape (for remote internet access) they are marked as read) and
things seem to be working smoothly.

Outlook's rules wizard is not very effective.  What I want to be able to do is
to use nnimap split rules to split my mail into folders that will then exist on
the server - not just as gnus groups.  Ideally, nnimap would create appropriate
server folders if needed but, at minimum, would file the messages into the
requisite folders assuming they existed.  Also, are nnimap rules
server-resident or gnus-resident?  Outlook can do both.  Rules that move
messages into Outlook's personal folders (IOW copies to the hard disk) can only
be client-resident.  Those that move messages into server-based folders are
server-resident.  What about nnimap?

Thanx!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com