Problem with huge number of mailboxes in IMAP server

I tried to fire up GNUS imap, and I noticed a problem. The way we're set up around here, a user's home directory is the root of their IMAP store. As a result, when I try to read my IMAP mail it searches EVERYTHING under ~ thinking it's all mailboxes.

This, obviously, takes a long time. I won't scare you with a copy of my *nnimap-debug* buffer. It's scary.

Other IMAP clients allow me to specify the store for them to start looking under, like "~/Mail/". I'd love to have this option in gnus-imap.

Here's my other problem: I tunnel my connections to my ISP's IMAP server through a compressed ssh connection. As a result, it's at a different port number than standard. I'd love to be able to configure this option as well.