Re: nnimap 0.3.11 released

    Justin> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
    >> Not if you look at it from my perspective.  IMAP may be a very different
    >> protocol than POP, etc.  But it is still just a backend to a mail server
    >> that is delivering mail.  As such, I can see viewing it as a drop-in
    >> replacement for my current POP access and to expect all nnmail stuff to
    >> work.

    Justin> Hmm.

    Justin> I think of IMAP in a completely different way than POP.

    Justin> POP is only useful for delivering mail.  IMAP is an entire mail
    Justin> system, also encompassing mail storage, readedness, selective
    Justin> actions on individual messages, etc.

    Justin> One can use it as a trivial mail-delivery mechanism like POP, but
    Justin> it is truly something much bigger than that.

I never thought of it that way.....thinking...thinking.... I see your point.  I
suppose if all I want is a "trivial mail-delivery mechanism like POP", I could
just continue to access my Exchange Server via POP!

    >> Are you viewing this differently than me?

    Justin> I think so.

    Justin> Also, from the look of the nnimap code at this point, it seems to
    Justin> resemble a read-write sort of nntp more than a new nnmail backend.

    Justin> This is not entirely unreasonable, as IMAP and NNTP both consist of
    Justin> message access and idividual actions via network protocol, as
    Justin> opposed to nnmail's local filesystem-orientedness.

OK.  I see your point in comparing IMAP to NNTP.  Especially, since if I want
to access my Exchange Server from another client (e.g., HTML client over the
Internet when I am on the road) I want to see all of my messages and whether
they've been read or not, etc.  IMAP provides these mechanisms whereas POP, of
course, does not.

I might, perhaps, even have to concede the point of server-side splitting.
Since one of the purposes of IMAP to have server-based storage so that I can
access from different clients at different locations/computers, my server needs
to know how to split my mail into mailboxes based on my preferences.  Does
server-side splitting coexist with nnimap-based splitting within emacs or must
I choose one or the other?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com