(MORIOKA Tomohiko) <morioka@jaist.ac.jp>] Re: Semi-gnus for SEMI 1.8

FYI.

See also http://www.gohome.org/wl/, a IMAP-MUA in elisp. It contains a
IMAP-library, ELMO, which I will have a closer look at.

Simon> >   Conventional Gnus uses `gnus-request-article-this-buffer'
Simon> > to display gnus-article-buffer.  It makes gnus-article-buffer
Simon> > at first, then copies to gnus-original-article-buffer.  It
Simon> > seems strange.  I think it is better to make
Simon> > gnus-original-article-buffer at first, then copy to
Simon> > gnus-article-buffer.

Simon> Would these changes make it possible to use backends (such as
Simon> IMAP which I'm working on) that support partial message
Simon> fetches?

  It is not related with IMAP4 support directly, however I'm planning
to support IMAP4 in SEMI project.

Simon> IMAP support fetching of a MIME structure of a message, so
Simon> SEMI/Gnus could show the MIME parts of a article and let the
Simon> user select which part to retrieve and show -- possibly
Simon> automatic retrieve all text/plain parts.

Simon> It would save lots of time/bandwidth when showing those
Simon> one-line article with 100 MB video clip attachments.

Simon> It would require extending the virtual server interface, I
Simon> don't think one needs to change the interface so all old
Simon> non-MIME-aware backends would still work.

  Yes, IMAP4 seems very good.  In Gnus, we need to change nn-backends.
Namely IMAP4 server provides information of MIME structure.  So we
don't need to parse messages.

  In SEMI MIME-View, it seems easy to use result of IMAP4 message
parsing.  It is easy to convert IMAP4 format to mime-entity format of
FLIM.  In Gnus, however, we must think about every backends except
IMAP4.  To this purpose, I'm modifying FLIM.  Now parser and display
engine are separated in SEMI MIME-View.  And I rewrite SEMI MIME-View
and FLIM to use mime-entity abstraction.  I'm planning to add
representation-type to mime-entity.  Each representation-type will be
processed by corresponding methods.  In addition, I'm planning to
introduce lazy (on demand) parsing or processing.

  After framework of FLIM are completed, I'm planning to rewrite
Semi-gnus using mime-entity abstraction of FLIM.

  By the way, Yuuichi Teranishi <teranisi@isl.ntt.co.jp> starts to
make IMAP4 MUA using SEMI, called "Wanderlust".

     http://www.gohome.org/teranisi/wl-dump.gif

It seems very cool.  Perhaps it will be good test case.

--
tomo.