Re: Fetching headers takes long?

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
> >> I recently converted from nnml to nnimap and I now see that fetching
> >> headers for a group takes quite some time, even if I do `2 2 =',
> >> say.
>
> > Header fetching does take some time. Gnus was designed around NNTP
> > (NOV) headers, and nnimap need to convert it's data into that format
> > which take some time.
>
> Formatted NOV files?  Or a lisp representation of the information of
> the NOV files?

Formatted NOV lines. Gnus then parse them (with error handling) and
convert it into it's internal "header" data format.

OTOH this is probably best solved by having nnimap use a .overview
cache just like nnml, then we come close to nnml speed when entering
mailboxes (except the first time you enter a mailbox, of course).