Re: showing read messages

Michael Hirsch <hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

> Okay, I finally got nnimap working.  Yay!  I've been hoping for IMAP
> mail in emacs for a long time.

I agree about "Yay!"  It's real nice.

> I've been using vm for a couple years, and RMAIL for many years before
> that.  I'm hoping to get nnimap as easy to use.
>
> One thing I'd like to have that I bet is available is a better way to
> view old messages.  When I start up my mail I'd like to see all the
> new messages (of course) but also the last few messages that are in my
> mailbox.

That's a Gnus thing called "Group Parameters".  You can read about it
in the Gnus docs.  I have mine set to ((display . all))

> Currently, it doesn't seem to do this.  I get only the new ones and
> any that I explicitly ticked.  I'd like to see everything that is
> there.  Even better would be to only load enough messages to fill the
> summary window.  If I want more previous ones it should load them on
> demand.

Oooh.  That sounds kind of yucky.  You'd be opening and closing IMAP
connections all the time.  I guess if you have thousands of emails in
one folder, it might help, but it would seem more efficient to
organize your mail into different folders in that case.

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu