showing read messages

Okay, I finally got nnimap working.  Yay!  I've been hoping for IMAP
mail in emacs for a long time.

I've been using vm for a couple years, and RMAIL for many years before
that.  I'm hoping to get nnimap as easy to use.

One thing I'd like to have that I bet is available is a better way to
view old messages.  When I start up my mail I'd like to see all the
new messages (of course) but also the last few messages that are in my
mailbox.

Currently, it doesn't seem to do this.  I get only the new ones and
any that I explicitly ticked.  I'd like to see everything that is
there.  Even better would be to only load enough messages to fill the
summary window.  If I want more previous ones it should load them on
demand.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

--