Re: Shared folders

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> We have just installed the Cyrus server, and it seems that it doesn't
> distinguish between different users for shared folders.

There is a mailing list for the cyrus server, maybe people there know
more, but since I use Cyrus too maybe I can help.

> For example, there is a group nnimap:proj.foo, and I see ticked
> messages appearing and disappearing rather randomly.  I assume that
> this is because my colleague is applying the marks.  Intuitively, I
> would have expected that each user has their own mark on a message
> -- otherwise my reading of a message means that my colleague never
> even sees it!
>
> Is achieving per-user marks on messages in shared folders a server
> configuration issue, or does this depend on the client, or is
> something else wrong?  Maybe there is a big misunderstanding involved
> on my part?

It's a server issue. The Cyrus people seem to have separated the flags
into seen/unseen flags which are kept for each user (subject to the
"s" ACL) and other flags which are global for the mailbox (subject to
the "w" ACL). I don't know why they have choosen this way, it breaks
the least-surprise principle, and IMHO it makes sharing mailbox among
several users very difficult in practice.

I've seen Cyrus has a "bulletin board" mode of operation which perhaps
is what you're looking for, I don't know much about it so I can't tell
if nnimap support it or not.

If you're trying to modify mailbox ACLs (`G l' from the *Group*
buffer) your emacs might hang (I wasn't even able to C-g it), I've
fixed the bug for the next release.